At one time, Mangalore was a port of great significance and the major seaport and ship building centre of Hyder Ali’s Kingdom. It has been considered as one of the beautiful cities in India and is extensive as her suburbs are perched on the sides of hills and valleys. It is perhaps the breathtaking natural scene with which Mangalore welcomes it’s people with, that makes it a lovely place to be in. The city has developed at the confluence of the two legendary river’s, the Nethravathi and the Gurupura river. Mangalore or Mangaluruhas had it’s name originated from the Mnagla Devi Temple. The District is characterized by a harmonious co-existence of different religions and cultures, like Hinduism, Jainism, Islam and Christianity. Mangalore though small in size still contributes to a lot of business activity. Even today it is a major centre for the export of coffee and cashew nuts. The places of sight seeing in and around Mangalore include the following.
ST. ALOYSIUS CHAPEL
This century old edifice houses breathtaking paintings and frescoes adorning the walls and ceilings of the chapel. The famous Chapel is situated a kilometer away from the main city – Hampankatta. It was in the year 1880 that the Jesuit order from Rome arrived on the banks of the river Nethravathi. A year later saw the foundation of the St. Aloysius College in a private home in Kodialbail at first and then to the lofty buildings on Light House Hill that presently houses the College. The walls of the Chapel have sprawling paintings of the artist Antony Moshani of Italy. It’s open from 0830-1000 hrs, 1230-1400 and 1530-1800 hrs.
GOKARNATHESHWARA KUDROLI TEMPLE
Kudroli Gokarnatheshwara Temple at Mangalore is the only Temple in Karnataka set by Shri Narayana Guru, the great Philosopher , saint and social reformer from Kerala. The temple was renovated in the Chola Gopuram style from the Kerala Style in the year 1991 at a cost of Rs. 1 crore with 500 labourers working day and night for one & half years. The main deity of this temple is Shiva – the Shiva Linga is carved out of Amruthasile meaning ‘marble’ brought by Shri Narayana Guru from a place called Gokarna where he got it under water. The Navarathri Utsava is a famous annaul festival of this temple. the ninth day which is symbolic with agrand procession of Durga is on the likes of the Mysore Dassara.
SHRI MANGALADEVI TEMPLE
The name Mangalore has originated from the Mangaladevi temple built in memory of a famous princess of Kerala by the same name. The sculpture of Goddess Mangaladevi is perhaps the earliest of the Durga sculpturesin the district, this temple was later rebuilt by one of the Ikkeri Nayaka (Bidanoor). The pious people even today believe that worship of Mangaladevi brings them prosperity and happiness. The Goddess is worshipped as “Shakti” The temple has a special significanec for the maidens. It is believed that maidens who observe Mangala Parvati Vrata will have their wish of having a suitable match fulfilled. Those who celebrate their wedding in this holy place will have a happy married life.
ALBUQUERQUE TILE FACTORY
Mangalore is synonymous with its roof tiles, which is very famous in and out of the country. They are known for their quality, utility, and perfect finish. It is also the largest tile factory in the country and their main area of production is building materials. They began exporting tiles and decorative items in the early 1950’s to countries as far as Australia, Malaysia, Ceylon, and East Africa. Presently they export their products mainly to the Middle East Countries.
SUMMER SANDS BEACH RESORT
The Summer Sands Beach resort is situated in Ullal and was started around 25 years ago by the Albuquerque family. It is a natural resort facing the sea. Along with a host of other facilities, this resort has a number of two/three roomed villas with a beautiful ambience. It also has a restaurant, which provides a variety of eateries, to satiate one’s appetite. Apart from this, it has a children’s park, other recreational facilities and a swimming pool.
THE SOUZA CASHEW FACTORY
The Souza cashew factory was begun around 15 years ago by the industrious Souza family. Just as Mangalore is synonymous with its roof tiles, so is it with cashew. Situated in Kulshekar, on the Karkala highway, this factory provides employment to 325 people. This unit mainly deals with the processing of cashew nuts. In the process of production, cashew kernels, cashew shells, cashew husk and cashew rejection are obtained. Oil is then produced at the oil mills out of the cashew shells, which are in turn used by the paint industry. It is exported mainly to countries like U.S.A., Germany etc.
THOUSAND PILLAR TEMPLE – MOODABIDRI
A Holy Shrine of the Jains, the thousand pillar temple is dedicated to Shri Chandranath, a Jain Saint. Jains spread all over India travel to this place to offer worship at the several Basadi’s dedicated to different Theerthankaras The temple is intricately carved and has architecture that is peculiar to Nepal. There are a total of 18 temples in Moodibidri. The 1000 pillar temple is around 569 years old and was built over a century. The history of the temple is carved on the walls and pillars of the temple. No two pillars in the temple are alike. It has got an elegantly carved wooden cieling and a wooden screen with intricate carvings. The Basadi is a treasure house of art and architecture. No where in Karnataka, a Basadi of so much grandeur and so much magnificence as this could be found.
Jainism is a religion of renunciation and non violence, which is as old as Buddism. Jainism was founded by Lord Mahaveer around 500 B. C. The statue of Bahubali was sculpted around 400 years ago from a single stone. Bahubali was one of the saints who came before Lord Mahaveera. The statue is 42 feet high and is made out of granite. It was made elsewhere and then transported here. There are 212 steps to climb up to the summit.
Legend has it, that tigers and Dakshina Kannada were synonomous, because the word “Pilikula” when translated means “Pond of tigers in Tulu” situated on the Mangalore – Karkala highway, Pilikula spans over a splendid 100 acres of land.